Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Kong

Some food items you can put in your Kong:
  • ground meat (any kind), browned
  • carrots, potatoes, peas, etc
  • yogurt
  • bananas
  • eggs
  • oatmeal (cooked)
  • rice (cooked)
  • dog kibble (I use this to hold together the stuffing if it gets too wet)
  • canned dog food
  • leftovers from the fridge I'm not going to eat
  • baby food
  • liver treats or dehydrated liver
  • and of course, peanut butter.
I literally mix whatever of those things I have together until I get a consistency I like, I let the critters taste it, of course. Some batches are chunkier and some are blended very smooth and pasty. Then I just shove it all into Kongs. When I stuff Kongs, I stuff every one I have and freeze them so they're ready whenever I need them. If you only have one or two Kongs to stuff, that's okay- you can make up extra stuffing and freeze it in Ziploc bags, then just thaw and stuff your Kongs later. (StarfishSaving; www.discussdogs.com)